Change Name In Your Passport

Change Name In Your Passport

Changing your name is something that most women opt to do after marriage. These days it’s not uncommon for men to change their names for numerological or various other reasons. And since a change of name should be reflected in Government documents, there are standard procedures designed for such changes. If you are someone who changed your name recently and is wondering how to change name in your passport, you’ve come to the right place!

Why Change Your Name In Your Passport?

If you did file for a change of name and had it published in local dailies or gazette publications but did not change it in your IDs, then your ID will be rendered invalid. Even if you have just changed your surname, you will want to make that change in your passport.

How To Change Name In Your Passport?

You cannot change your name alone in your passport, what you can do is request for reissue and get the change done in your personal particulars. The steps are fairly simple, however, it could be slightly time consuming.

Step 1: Form no. II for Miscellaneous Services

This form is available at the passport office for a cost of INR 5/- or it can be directly downloaded from the internet. In case you are downloading the form, you need to fill it and upload the file generated to the site before you fix an appointment with the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK).

While filling the form, choose “Reissue of passport” in the services required field and select the option for name/surname change under personal particulars.

Step 2: Submitting the documents

Following are the list of documents you will need to submit along with Form no. II

  1. Original passport with self attested copies of the first two pages and the last two pages
  2. Drafted and sworn Annexure E, which you can prepare online
  3. Copies of dailies/ publications advertising the change of name
  4. In case the applicant is a married woman wishing to change her surname, she will have to provide copies of the marriage certificate and the husband’s passport (if any)
  5. In case the applicant is a divorcee wishing to revert back to her maiden name, copy of divorce decree must be attached to Form no. II
  6. In case the applicant is a widow, death certificate of the husband should be attached to the form

Step 3: Scheduling an appointment

To schedule an appointment, call the passport office any time between 9 am and 6 pm. The online system will generate a date and time and provide it to you. Once you receive an appointment, prepare yourself to appear before the officials with a filled Form no. II and all the supporting documents listed in the step above.

Step 4: Making an appearance

Ideally, visit your Regional Passport Office 15 min ahead of scheduled appointment time, just to be on the safer side. If you had applied online, you may not require a token no. which means you don’t have to stand in queue. Proceed to the respective counter to get things moving.

Step 5: Submitting your application

At your counter, submit the form along with all the required supporting documents. In case you cannot personally appear for the process, you can authorize someone to do it on your behalf. Sign an authorization letter drafted in the format recommended by the passport office and endorse the person acting on your behalf with it.

Step 6: Paying the fee

We cannot tell you for sure what the fee is because it is subject to change as and when the officials see fit. You will have to pay the fee along with the application either in cash or in the form of a bank draft in the name of the Regional Passport Officer.

Step 7: Collecting the passport

You should be able to receive your passport via mail or at the passport office within a span of 7 working days. This step marks the conclusion of the process for requesting a passport reissue.

Making The Process Easier

All of the annexures you require in any service related to passports are available with LegalDesk. Which means that you no longer have to venture out looking for lawyers or stamp vendors to draft affidavits for you. All you need to do is customize a pre-drafted, ready to use, lawyer verified Annexure E and opt to have it printed on stamp paper and delivered to your address. You don’t have to step out of your house to execute this difficult step. Team LegalDesk will be more than happy to assist you with any other concerns you regarding legal documents or procedures. Cheers!


Source:- legaldesk